Consultant InFocus: Lara Schlinker
IN FOCUS will give our readers a chance to get to know a little bit more about who our consultants are and what makes them tick. In this edition we speak with Senior Consultant, Lara Schlinker.
- I came to work at TMS because… I love working in teams and the opportunity to work with such a well-regarded group of people was extremely appealing. There is nothing better than working with a group of like-minded people who are focused on finding a solution for our clients.
- In my work I am passionate about… Making a difference to organisations and the people who work in them.
- What I enjoy most about TMS is… the team lives the values. It’s not just fluffy consultant speak.
- My first job was… Selling shoes at Vic Jensens. I was only 15 years old and it was quite an experience to serve cranky Christmas crowds. It kept me studying too – there was no way I was going to sell shoes as a career.
- The person I most admire professionally is… I am lucky enough to have had several mentors in my working career. Each of them have helped me design my career path and all of them are so generous with their knowledge and experience. If there is one thing I would say to young people currently designing their career, it would be to look for strong mentors that will challenge you every step of the way.
- The book that has had the biggest influence on my career… Peter Senge – The Fifth Discipline… Organisations that learn and are agile are the ones that will be around for the longest time. My experience has supported this over and over again!
- If I wasn’t a consultant I would be… A singer or actor… but I do both very badly. Lucky I’m a consultant!
- The best piece of advice I have ever been given is… Don’t take yourself too seriously and remember that regardless of who you are working with “people put their pants on the same way as you do every day”. It just means that regardless of someones hierarchical level in an organisation, we are all human. Go gently with them!
- The thing that makes me most happy outside work is… Sitting near the water or on the boat with my little girl and partner! Nothing to do but read a book, swim, chat and eat cheese!